Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Comfort Zone

I have never considered myself to be an 
introvert.
I like being surrounded by people.
I love meeting new people.
I love sharing stories.
I like being liked.

Then, about a year ago,
I was told by,
not one,
but two people
that I'm a very loud person.
And the way they said it
wasn't as a compliment.
In fact, 
one day, 
I was quite upset and unusually quiet.
I got told by one of them
how much they appreciated my quietness.
So...
I was being told
I'm not appreciated for who I am.

The other person who made the 
loud comment
made me feel like I was not liked.
That my friends were not really my friends.
That the people I liked and trusted
did not like and trust me.
I never realised the effect that has had
until now.

This weekend,
Ethan was feeling sad.
He commented that some boys at school
were calling him names.
He expressed how he was being made to feel
dumb
stupid
unworthy.

I went to see the school councilor today
and we chatted about how Ethan has adjusted.
Since moving here,
Ethan has had a few playdates.
But none with his own classmates.
And part of that reason,
is I need to make an effort.
I have been thrown out of my comfort zone.
This usually loud and friendly person
is terrified of meeting new people.
And because I'm nervous about leaving
my comfort zone,
Ethan hasn't had any playdates with his classmates.

So...
it is time for Tima to return.
We're in a new city,
a new country.
Tima is loud.
She is friendly.
She drinks coffee
and shares stories.
And she is about to make some calls
and organise some playdates.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

Go, Tima!

(I'm loud, too, by the way.)

=)