Friday, December 4, 2015

Dear Mum

Hi mum,

I know today is a hard day for everyone, but especially hard for you. It's been a year since dad left us. You were at his side. You were so sad, and I remember you saying how you and dad had a deal, that you would leave first.

But mom, despite how hard this year has been, I have to say how proud I am of you.

Rasool and I have different memories of our mother. When I was in primary school, you worked full time. I remember you coming to my school when I got into trouble. I remember taking the bus downtown to meet you. We'd go for a late lunch, then go home. I remember how the bottom of your desk drawer was filled with shoes!

When Rasool was in primary school, you stayed home. And this was great for us. But it means he remembers you differently than I.

When dad passed away, I worried about you. I still do, but you have amazed me. The strong mother I remember is here. I was scared that you would not be able to handle his passing. And while it has been hard, you have remained strong. Over the course of this year you have:

*  Faced many obstacles, and you have never given up.

* Stood up to me when I told you what I thought.

* Shown more forgiveness than I could ever imagine possessing.

You continue to teach Ethan. You continue to show Hailey your love.

You are an amazingly strong woman.

I'm so proud to call you my mom.




No comments: