Thursday, November 25, 2010

Writer's Workshop

Interview your kids...what do they think Thanksgiving is for? What are they thankful for? etc.

I have one American student in my class, and he was absent this week. I was hoping to spend a little time with my class talking about Thanksgiving, even though I'm Canadian and ours was last month, but I didn't have time to do this.

Today, I told my students it was Thanksgiving in the US. I briefly told them what it was. Our school counselor is American, and she stopped by our classroom for a lesson, and told the children how it was Thanksgiving, and she was thankful to be able to come to our class and teach her lesson.

I thought it would be interesting to see what my Grade 3 students thought Thanksgiving means, and what they were thankful for. Here are some of their responses:

I think Thanksgiving means when you are thankful and happy with what you're given. I'm thankful for living in a house. 

I think Thanksgiving means thanking people for bringing such nice, tasty and great food.
I think Thanksgiving means to give food to the people who have helped you this year. I'm thankful for taking care of my dog.

I think Thanksgiving means when someone who helped you every time, and on that day, at night, you take a turkey and go to that person's house and have a dinner with them.

I am thankful for my parents, sister and friends. I'd be lonely without them.
I really like this last one. Reminds me a little of one of the other prompts, one about writing a poem.But not really a poem. :)

I am thankful for the life I have.
I am thankful for the family I have.
I am thankful for the house I have.
I am thankful for the friends I have.
I am thankful for the school I have. 
I am thankful for the teachers I have. 
I am thankful for the class I have.
I am thankful for to the earth.


No comments: