Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nil - Lynne Matson

Nil.
Zero.
Nothing.
Nada.

Seventeen year old Charley,
heads to Target one summer day
and suddenly finds herself
lying on a beach.
Naked.

Twelve days later,
she meets a group of teens 
and learns she's on the island of 
Nil.
And on Nil, 
you have exactly 365 days to leave
or you die.

Ok,
so let me start by saying I really enjoyed this book.
And I am fully aware it has gotten mixed reviews.
In fact, 
I think I even tried not to like it.
To focus on the negative.
I even,
gasp,
found out how it ended.
And yet,
I cried.
So I'm thinking,
if I know how a book ends,
I shouldn't cry.
But I did.
So this was a darn good book.

Charley meets Thad on Nil.
He teaches her about the island.
And they fall in love.
And it has it's 
Survivor meets Lost
moments.

We also meet Bart,
who's not very nice.
He tries to steal other's doors
(there's a porthole type thing to get out)
he picks fights.
And yet, 
his story just ends.

We never learn what Nil is
or how these kids end up there
and for many,
we don't know what happened to them.

But,
she made me cry.
And that alone
means this was one darn good book!!!!





No comments: