Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mom's Home Remedy

Anyone who knows me, knows my mum and I aren't close. In fact, we really have nothing in common. Correction, we have 2 things in common. We both simply adore Ethan and take great pleasure in spoiling him rotten, and we both love shoes! And that's where our similarities end.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mother, but I seriously don't get her. And she'd say the same about me.

When I had Ethan, she had all kinds of strange foods she wanted me to eat. They all had a purpose, but I didn't really get it. Think I even rolled my eyes, with them closed of course. Whenever Ethan goes over there, she feeds him all kinds of strange things in strange ways. I usually don't really pay attention. I figure she means well, so she would never give him something that's bad for him, so who does it hurt?

One thing that I can say she gives him, and as I type this, my face is curling up and looking disgusted, is tumeric and honey. Whenever Ethan has even the slightest cough, she gives him a spoon of this. Yuck! But she swears by it, so really, who am I to complain?

This past weekend, Ethan had a cough. And of course, mum fed him the tumeric and honey. Yuck! Sunday night, Ethan was knackered and fell asleep a little after 6. Around 10:30, I could hear him coughing. And I mean really coughing. It was horrible, and I'm convinced it made the house shake. After listening to this for an hour, I decided we needed to do something. Mind you, I do live in Tanzania, where I can buy cough syrup for a child under the age of 6. However, I didn't feel like giving him any. Seriously, does it even work. So I gave in. I went into the kitchen, grabbed some tumeric and honey, and fed Ethan a spoonful. Think he was too zoned out to even realise the grossness of what I was giving him. I then crawled into bed, and fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up and realised I never woke up during the night. Which means, Ethan never woke up. Which means he never coughed. OMG! I poisoned him! I went into his room to see if he was still breathing. I would like to say I went to check on him, but that would be lying. Of course, he was fine.

It then dawned on me. That stuff really worked!!!! OMG! My mother was right!!!!


2 comments:

Faiza said...

LOL!
Does your Mom know you said she was right?

Unknown said...

You are hilarious!!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is that it works!. Yasien even asks for it.