Thursday, September 2, 2010

Writer's Workshop

Childhood fears you've taken into your adult life.

If I were to be honest, I'd have to say I'm afraid of the dark. It's a common fear for children, in fact, Ethan has recently developed this fear himself. I remember as a child, there was this large tree outside my bedroom window, and at night, the moonlight would shine on it, and occasionally the wind blew it's branches, and I was convinced there was a witch flying outside my bedroom window. I was so convinced, that after my brother was born, and he needed a room of his own, I happily gave up my room, and took the spare room. 

As I got older, I'm not sure how much of the dark I feared, or being alone in the dark. If ever I were home alone in the evening, I had trouble sleeping. I would turn on the hallway light, the downstairs light, and then to make sure I was safe I would turn the radio on and fall asleep to the sound of the radio.

Does this mean my fear expanded to the fear of the dark and quiet?

Even now, I am not comfortable being alone in the dark. If Scott travels, then the hallway light stays on. If I'm feeling a little more on edge than usual, then I have the side table light on too. Hopefully Ethan will outgrow his fear of the dark, and not have it grow into something bigger.




Mama's Losin' It

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was scared of the dark as wel... always a nightlight. (psst... i still have one!)

Tanya said...

What is it about the dark? Maybe that's why I am such a morning person...hmm. Great post, my sister's and I always slept with a nightlight and so have all 3 of my kids.

paulakiger said...

Tima, thank you for sharing that. It always amazes me that my children are spooked in the (much bigger than our previous) home that we bought to have something more "family friendly." They say it is spooky, even after we had it blessed by our priest!! It is not unusual to find my son asleep in the living room, tv on, lights glaring. He would fit right in at your house it sounds like!

BusyMom said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.Believe it or not, for me, this was the easiest of the writing choices for this assignment!
The last 2 posts were very difficult to write -emotionally- but tomorrow's... it was fun.
And informative... :0)
I look forward to reading more from you... Tanzania? All I know about there is that is where my Tanzanite ring came from...I think.

M.Jay. said...

I am in the same boat as you. I dont really think you grow out of being afraid of the dark. I have to sleep with the bathroom light on every night. ;)
Visiting from Mama Kats