Monday, March 21, 2011

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Should I feel guilty, that I was very excited that Scott was away on Saturday and Ethan went to my mum's, as it gave me a chance to sit on the couch, and devour this book?

I loved this book!

The Hunger Games takes place in the future. A dreary future, where North America is gone, and it is now Panem, with the Capitol, rich, greedy and cruel, and the 12 Districts, improvised, hungry, mistreated. For entertainment, and to show the country how powerful they are, every year the Capitol holds the Hunger Games. Here, one male and one female between the ages of 12-18, from each district is chosen. They are thrown into an "arena" and battle to the death. Oh, and this is televised for the entire country to see.

In The Hunger Games, we meet Katniss, a teenager who sneaks past the boundaries to go hunting with her best friend, Gale. She provides food for her mother, and 12 year old sister. When her sister's name is drawn for the Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place. It then follows her as she prepares for the games, and takes her into the games.

I loved Katniss. Maybe it's because she's the first really strong female character I've come across in awhile. Don't get me wrong, the other females in my past books, are great. But I had the constant urge to grab them and shake some sense into them. With Katniss, I would just roll my eyes at some moments.

I was thrilled to have Saturday all to myself, so I could keep reading. I needed to know what would happen, how she would survive, what she was feeling. I love having a Kindle, as Sunday morning, I was able to get the 2nd book, and to start into it right away.





No comments: