Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writer's Workshop - Husbands

3.) Husbands. A post that hopefully will not get you in trouble.


I am not sure if this is a my husband thing, or generally a man thing, but husbands cannot multi-task! There, I've said it. 


I'm not simply talking about Scott watching sports on TV, and having tunnel-vision. Which he does have. There's absolutely no point in even trying to have a conversation with him when he's watching sports. He's not tuned into anything I say. I could walk around naked, and he'd possibly notice during an interval!


Then there's the time he is having a conversation, and his Blackberry goes off. So he types, and nods his head, to show he's listening, when in fact he is not! 


I'll ask a question and he nods. 
I sit silently.
He continues to type.
He finishes typing and looks up.
Suddenly he realises he's missed something.
I'm waiting for my reply.
To what?
The question I asked.
Oh.


Better yet, I provide information, and within the same day he wants to know what I've already asked! Weren't you listening?
Apparently not.


Scott recently went to the UK. While there, he called and we chatted about the Theatre Ball which was this past weekend. My parents were away, so we needed a sitter. I told him how Margaret was willing to babysit, but since we thought we'd be really late and weren't sure if she could find a taxi, Margaret said she could spend the night. Scott wasn't sure if he was fond of that. 


Fair enough.


So, Saturday night comes along, and Margaret comes to babysit. Scott makes a comment about her spending the night. Didn't we have this discussion? 


He doesn't recall.


Really? Multi-tasking is difficult? You've got a job where you deal with employees, suppliers, customers. You can get them straight, but you can't multi-task here?


But I love you anyway.




 Mama's Losin' It

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I agree, men cannot multi-task.

Visiting from Mama Kat's
http://mytimeasmom.com

differentbreed said...

it is not just yours....I promise....mine does the same thing, all the time.

Even better, I ask something simple like 'can you do the dishes while I am gone?' he nods, takes the baby and I leave for 2 or 3 hours to return to the same dish pile...he heard me but the baby kept him too busy while I was gone...lol..whatever :)

Stopping by from Mama Kat's