Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

The Life of Pi  is one of those books that I see each time I go to the bookstore. I pick it up, read the back, and decide "not this time". I can't explain why it never caught my interest. And, no, it's not because of the lack of vampires!

For my 11/11 Book Challenge, I need an animal book. Most of my mates recommended Water for Elephants, but Louise felt strongly, that I should read this one. And she had a copy. 

Piscine Molitor Patel, known to all as Pi (yes, 3.14) lives in a small town in India called Pondicherry. He is the son of a zookeeper. He explores many religions. He is interested in, and practices, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity. When Pi is sixteen, his family (and some zoo animals) plan to emigrate from India to Canada. The board a Japanese cargo ship, which sinks within a few days, leaving Pi in a lifeboat, along with a number of zoo animals, including a 450 pound Bengal tiger. 





  

3 comments:

PythonKatie said...

Sounds intriguing to me! Can't wait for a full review from you.

Faiza said...

curious to hear what you think of life of pi. i didn't love it and think it was overhyped. hope you will still read water for elephants. that i guarantee you will LOVE!

Unknown said...

Lesson - Never blog while you have a cold. I put a lot of thought into my summary, I forgot to say what I thought.
So @faiza - Have to agree. Louise will hate me, but I wasn't enthralled as she hoped I would be. It was a nice read, but I didn't find God like I was led to believe!