Friday, September 23, 2011

The Power of our Words:Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn - Paula Denton

I've listed The Power of our Words:Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn as a book I wouldn't normally read in my 11/11 Book Challenge. The reason is simply, I tend to prefer articles on such matters, or skim a few chapters over reading an entire book. This particular one was a new book in our school library and the title grabbed my attention. While reading it, I wished it were my own book so I could take a highlighter to it, instead of a library book where I wrote notes. 

And there was a lot of note taking.

Topics included are:
Using language to get children to envision their success
The use of open ended questions
The use of listening and silence
The 3 R's - reinforcing, reminding and redirecting
Saying what you mean, and meaning what you say
Offering meaningful, sincere encouragement

Paula Denton just tells you what you probably already know, but needed reminding of. She breaks things down into steps. It made me see things I have been doing or haven't. It's already made me think of the way I word things with my students.


No comments: